Skip to main content

The Guitar Medic

By Appointment
Home
Repair and Restoration
CUSTOMER FEEDBACK
1898 Mandolin
Washburn D10S
Oscar Schmidt OF2
1900s Tenor Banjo
Yamaha FG-230 12-String
1970 Stella H927
1970 Harmony H165-1
Gibson Blueridge
1970's Conn F-11
Conn C-60
Conn F-2112
Gibson Classical C-1
Yamaha F325 Hole Repair
Yamaha FD01S
Ibanez Electric
Yamaha FG550
Yamaha FG300 Restore
Ovation Broken Neck
Yamaha FG300 Minor Repair
Framus 5/68 Restoration
Epiphone Hummingbird
Alembic Bass
Yamaha FG180-1
Alvarez 5024
Holzbauer Conn F2712
56 Fender DuoSonic Restor
Martin DM1 Trainwreck
Conn F100 Neck Set
Conn F-27 Cracked Bridge
SX Bass Headstock Reshap
Case Repairs
Amp Conversion
Vintage Guitars
Links
Contact Me
Musical Instruments
Music / Instruction
Member Login
Photos
How To Pages
My Ideas
SX VTG Series 4-String Bass - Reshape Headstock
This Bass was purchased new by Jerry directly from a web seller. He loved the feel of the neck and the bass in general, but did not like the headstock. He felt the design was out of proportion and 'ugly' as he put it. He asked if I could cut off the sharp "nose" on the end.
Here is a photo of what it looked like before I started on it. I too felt that it looks a bit disproportional.

PROPOSED CUTS:
I began on 8/13, by overlaying three copies of the headstock with original on left, proposed cut 1 in the middle, and proposed cut 2 on the right. I sent this to Jerry to get his feedback. He liked both, and basically told me to pick the best fit for the tuners. I picked a variation of the middle and the right.

STARTED WORK:
I started this on 8/16 by first tracing around the back of the tuning machines so I would have the "footprint" identified. See photo at right.  I then removed all strings and hardware. I used a French curve to make the lines where I would cut a smooth flow. I did the shape from memory, but made it similar to the classic Fender shape.
I did not photograph the tracings before I went ahead and cut, so what you see here is after I already did the rough cut.
 
 

CUT THE SHAPE:
I taped off the front of the headstock, because the front was glossy and I did not want to scratch it. I use painter's tape (actually "Frog Tape") for that, because it protects the surface and peels off easily. I then cut the larger parts out on my band saw, then went to my oscillating sander and shaped it.
Below is what it looked like after rough sanding on my oscillating sander.
I then proceeded below to sand it first with 220 grit to break edges and to smooth the transition lines. Then I hit it with 320. I wiped it clean and applied wipe-on polyurethane (satin--to match existing finish). Photos below show this progress, and different views.
The two above photos are after fine sanding. But the photo below is after the first coat of polyurethane. A couple of coats and it will look like factory-made. I will erase the pencil tracing lines before re-mounting the tuning machines.